Resources for Downtown Boise Association Members
Downtown Boise is Idaho’s most robust economic growth center; the state’s dynamic hub for business, employment, arts and entertainment. Since 1987, the Downtown Boise Association has worked to keep Boise a healthy, happening, innovative and inspired city by building both business and community in the heart of this amazing city - Downtown. How do we do it? Through traffic driving events, enticing promotions, engaged marketing, keeping businesses updated with crucial information, advocating and serving as the business liaison with city clean and safe programs. DBA efforts are aimed keeping Downtown Boise clean, safe, attractive, welcoming and competitive.
The DBA Mission is to build value through vibrancy.
The Downtown Boise business community established the DBA in 1987 to help downtown stay clean, safe, vibrant, desirable and competitive. The DBA is authorized by the City of Boise to manage the Downtown Boise Business Improvement District.
WHAT IS A BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT?
A Business Improvement District is a publicly sanctioned, privately directed organization that supplements public service to improve shared, geographically defined, outdoor public spaces. More than 1,000 BIDs exist in the US, and are common in downtowns to enhance the safety, cleanliness, image and competitiveness of city centers.
THE DOWNTOWN BOISE BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT:
60 square blocks: State Street to the north, 13th Street to the west, Myrtle Street to the south, to 6th Street north to Front, east on Front Street, with 5th Street the east district boundary.
WHO ARE DBA MEMBERS?
A business that that rents space in the Business Improvement District is a DBA member. There are approx. 700 DBA business members that vary greatly in size and scope. 300+ DBA business members are street-level retail, restaurant, and retail service merchants.
All property owners in the district are DBA members. All properties, with the exception of residential and government, are subject to an annual assessment from the City of Boise that supports BID services. For 2018, BID Assessments are paid by 178 property owners and equal 51% of the DBA budget. The DBA leverages those dollars two-to-one with event income and event sponsorships to complete marketing, programming, and service funding.
The DBA also maintains an active group of Associate members who see value in DBA programs and contribute voluntarily to the DBA. A $300 annual fee allows Associate members to take advantage of and participate in DBA promotions.
Keeping Downtown Boise a success place to do business and celebrate community is definitely a group effort. If your business is located in the boundaries of the Downtown Boise Business Improvement District, good news! You’re a member of the DBA!
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP WITH THE DOWNTOWN BOISE ASSOCIATION INCLUDE:
- Downtown Map & Directory business listing. Twice each year the DBA updates, prints, and distributes more than 70,000 Downtown Boise Map and Directories. The guides are used by downtown merchants, hotels, conference attendees through the BCVB and Boise Centre, the Boise Airport, regional visitor centers, Boise State, the Boise Metro Chamber of Commerce, and provided to purchasers of Downtown Boise gift cards. DBA members get first opportunity to advertise at extremely reasonable rates in this highly desired directory!
- DBA website business landing page. Thousands of people, locals and visitors, log onto the new www.downtownboise.org to find where to go and what to do in Downtown Boise. The DBA’s new website is mobile responsive and presents businesses an opportunity to be part of this dynamic portrait of our world class downtown. Individual business landing pages are complete with a business description, hours, map and location, colorful photos (chosen and contributed by each business), as well as listings of what’s nearby your location for your customers to enjoy. You’ll see www.downtownboise.org is referenced in all DBA marketing pieces, including the seasonal street banners.
- Downtown Events Calendar: downtownboise.org now includes a comprehensive, highly viewed calendar of downtown events, from gallery openings to concerts, sports to family favorites, listing special events on the downtownboise.org calendar attracts attention. Planning an upcoming art show, live music event, or guest speaker? Get it listed on Boise’s only downtown-centric calendar.
- Downtown Boise Gift Cards. Since 2003, some $3.5 Million has been invested back into downtown businesses through the Downtown Boise gift card program. More than 300 downtown businesses bring in customers by accepting Downtown Boise gift cards. Businesses who take the gift cards are also noted in the Map & Directory and at www.downtownboise.org.
- DBA Event & Promotion Participation: First Thursday, Dine Out Downtown Boise Restaurant Week, Mother’s Day Shopping Spree, Father’s Day Car Show, Small Business Saturday, and more. These DBA-produced events and promotions are valuable tools produced to build business by connecting to a community that appreciates the authentic, unique experience only a downtown business can provide. DBA events and promotions are exclusive to DBA members and associate members.
- Social Connections: DBA Members are welcome to connect with the community and other businesses through a variety of DBA e-newsletters and social media channels. The weekly DBA member business e-newsletter keeps members updated on what’s happening downtown, opportunities for promotion participation, information on traffic, construction, and public safety updates, etc. Special events at member businesses may also be featured in posts on the popular DBA social platforms.
All these benefits are provided at no charge to businesses located inside the Downtown Boise Business Improvement District (BID).
How can I list my business or update my business listing with the DBA?
Any listings with the Downtown Boise Association will be verified and approved prior to publishing.
First Thursday in Downtown Boise
The First Thursday of every month is a special one in Downtown Boise. Local businesses, merchants, artists, musicians, restaurants and performers come together to participate in this monthly event. Art installations, beer and wine tastings, special samplings and live music are just the beginning of what you'll find in Downtown Boise during First Thursday. The Downtown Boise Association welcomes and encourages businesses to participate in this fun event by hosting your own!
List Your First Thursday Event
Current First Thursday Listings
Events must be approved prior to listing. As a general rule, to be included online, events must be submitted no later than one week prior to the next First Thursday.
Are you interested in having alcoholic drinks, tastings or samples at your First Thursday event? Below is a quick check list to make sure you are complying with Boise law:
Downtown Boise First Thursday Alcohol Tasting/ Samples Check List
August 2017: Improvements to First Thursday Marketing
Downtown Maintenance Matters
Maintenance Concern? Email Downtown Maintenance Matters Team
Thank you for your attention and report. Your maintenance concern will be addressed as soon as possible by the Downtown Boise Maintenance Matters Team.
Maintenance concerns may include:
- flower planters
- streetlamp banners
- tree grates
- bicycle racks
- parking meters
- street lights
- litter, overflowing garbage
- weeds in tree grates
- sidewalk tripping hazards
- blocked storm drains
- unhealthy trees
-Public Safety Emergency:
9-1-1 or non-emergency Boise Police dispatch 208-377-6790
Report a Crime Online https://police.cityofboise.org/online-crime-reporting/
-Graffiti: Please report immediately to Boise Police none-emergency dispatch 208-377-6790. Graffiti needs to be reported, documented and removed quickly so discourage its spread. It’s the responsibility of property owners to remove graffiti from their property.
Downtown Property Owners
Thank you for being part of a vibrant Downtown Boise community.
As you know, building and property maintenance are a big part of keeping downtown a clean, safe, attractive and successful place to do business, to live, to visit and enjoy. Please be aware the following maintenance services are the responsibility of individual property owners:
- Snow and ice removal around property and business fronts. Click here for policy.
- Fall leaf removal. Click here for policy.
- Street tree maintenance, replacement and irrigation.
- Alleyway maintenance.
- Hazardous signs on buildings.
- Overflowing dumpsters.
- Pest Control.
- Graffiti on buildings or property: Please call Boise Police Dispatch 208-377-6790. A Community Service Specialist from the police department will respond and document the damage. It is the building owners responsibility to then remove the graffiti as quickly as possible. Ignoring graffiti has been proven to perpetuate the problem. Your prompt attention to graffiti is appreciated.