Downtown Boise Gift Card 101
Accept and Authorize as a Credit Card (Downtown Boise Gift Cards are Pre-Paid Visa Cards)
You may authorize the card for an amount up to the current available balance.
• Swipe the card through your POS as a credit card.
• If your POS requires the last 4 digits of a credit card, enter the last 4 numbers in the card sequence from the back of the card
Know the Card Balance
99% of all declines are due to insufficient funds. A gift card will decline if it is run for more than the gift card balance. Knowing the card balance allows you to process the transaction quickly and effectively, thus keeping your customers happy and likelier to return. It is the customer's responsibility to know their balance. The balance can be obtained by:
- Visiting www.getmybalance.com and entering the 16-digit card number and 6-digit security code on the back of the card
- Calling CardBalance 1-800-755-0085 located on the top, right back of the card
Choosing to accept tips on the Downtown Boise Gift Card is the decision of the individual restaurant/server. If there is enough balance on the gift card, a customer can tip. Checking the balance and closing out the tip before the customer leaves is recommended. There is no ability for compensation of a tip that exceeds the balance of the gift card. You may choose to decline tips on the cards all together if you wish.
Split Tender Transactions
If the sale amount exceeds the balance of the card, follow your own store policy regarding split tender transactions:
- Swipe the card for the exact available balance.
- Obtain another form of payment for the remainder of the sale.
Voiding a Sales Transaction
If you deduct an incorrect amount from a customer’s card, follow your store’s void procedures:
• When you void a sale, the funds need to be placed back on the card.
• You can call Merchant Support to have the funds immediately placed back on the card. The Merchant Support number is listed on the back of the card.
• If you do not call Merchant Support, it will take approximately 7 business days for the funds to be automatically placed back on the card.
Returned Merchandise Purchased with Card
Stores should follow standard store policy when processing merchandise returns:
• EML recommends that refunds for merchandise purchased with a card not be placed back on the card. Instead, the store should issue its own store credit or store branded gift card.
• If a return has to be put back on the card, the original card must be present and refunds can take up to 7 business days to appear on the card account.
• Only the portion of the sale amount purchased with the card may be returned to the card.
About the Card
• Each transaction must receive a valid authorization at the time of purchase.
• Stores will be compensated for accepting the card as if they had accepted a credit card.
• Send customers with questions regarding lost cards to the card selling location to receive information about replacement card policies.
• If a transaction requires a manual entry of the card number, the merchant must call the Merchant Support number on the back of the card.
EML Merchant Support is available 24/7 at 1-800-755-8713. We encourage you to use the Merchant Support number (listed on the back of every gift card) at any time, for any reason.